Glistening Oshēn Salmon, in a dairy-free curry that surprises. Each bite is a journey, a trip to exotic lands. The flavors unfold like the shifting desert sands. Golden onions, caramelized to perfection. A side of Basmati rice complements the symphony of aromas. This dish leaves a mark, it permeates the memory.
Meal Type: Lunch or Dinner
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
Yields: 4 portions
For the curry
1 lb. Oshēn Salmon fillets, skin removed, cubed
1 cup chopped tomatoes
¼ cup onion, chopped
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger or ginger paste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon curry powder
15 oz. coconut milk (full-fat)
Olive oil as needed
Salt as needed
Pepper as needed
Chopped cilantro to garnish
For basmati rice & Golden Onions
1 cup basmati rice (preferably imported from India or Pakistan)
1¾ cups water
Olive oil as required
½ teaspoon salt
1 small onion, finely sliced
- Heat some olive oil in a cast iron pan, and fry onion slices on high heat. Drain and set aside.
- Rinse the rice under cold running water for 1 to 2 minutes while swishing it with your hand to remove any excess starch. Drain the rice using a fine mesh strainer.
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the rice, water, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow the rice to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. If the rice is still too firm, add a few more tablespoons of water and continue cooking for a few more minutes. Once the rice is cooked, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit covered for 5 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the curry. In a pot, heat olive oil and sear Salmon cubes, remove from pot, and set aside.
- Add more olive oil to the pot, and fry onions, garlic, and ginger. When the mixture starts to get brown, stir in tomatoes.
- When tomatoes are soft and dissolving, add the coconut milk. Let it bubble, then season with turmeric, curry, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked Salmon cubes to the pot. Allow some minutes for the Salmon to absorb the curry sauce. Turn off the heat and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve Salmon curry with basmati rice. Top rice with golden fried onions.