If you are an avid seafood lover or if you subscribe to one of our delicious salmon delivery boxes, you’re always looking for new recipes! Sure, simple pan fried or baked salmon is yummy as-is, but sometimes you want to spice things up a little bit. Stuffing your salmon with tasty ingredients is the perfect way to bring new flavors and textures to your salmon meal!
When you stuff any meat, you must be mindful of how you prep it. It doesn’t cook the same after it’s packed with delectable ingredients like cream cheese, crab meat, parmesan, and spinach. YUM! So, keep that in mind as you try your own recipes!
To help you get started, we’ve created a step-by-step guide to making your own stuffed salmon. Here it is:
How to Make Stuffed Salmon
The recipe we’ve chosen is a crab and spinach stuffed salmon dish! The light, flaky texture of the salmon pairs perfectly with the heavy, creamy texture of the cheeses. Plus, this meal expertly balances flavors using the buttery salmon, sharp cheeses, tart citrus juices, and earthy veggies and spices. It’s a totally delectable meal that will stimulate all your tastebuds and definitely leave you wanting more!
- 4 Oshēn salmon fillets
- 6 TB butter (divided in half)
- 3 TB minced garlic
- 2 tsp paprika (divided in half)
- 4 oz of fresh spinach
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/4 C parsley (and some for topping)
- 2 TB fresh lemon juice
- 2 TB fresh lime juice
- 1/2 lb of jumbo lump crab
- 1/2 C shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TB of Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 TB of oil
Heat a skillet to medium high heat.
Melt half the butter in the skillet. Then, add minced garlic and 1 tsp of paprika. Saute the garlic and paprika for just under a minute, then add your spinach. Continue to saute ingredients until the spinach is fully cooked.
In a mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese, parsley, lemon juice, and lime juice. Once thoroughly mixed, add the lump crab meat, sauteed spinach, fontina cheese, parmesan cheese, onion powder, and the rest of the paprika. Gently mix until the ingredients are fully combined.
Now it’s time to prep your salmon fillets. Remove them from their packaging, and pat them dry with a paper towel. Then, season with salt, pepper, and Old Bay Seasoning.
Cut salmon pockets about ¾ of the way through the salmon fillets. Be careful not to cut all the way through! Then, stuff your salmon with the crab and cream cheese mixture. You’ll use about 2 tb per salmon.
Heat the other half the butter and oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the salmon and pan fry until it’s a golden color. This will be about 7 minutes. Then, flip and repeat on the other side.
Remove the salmon from the heat. Now, plate and top with parsley. You’re ready to serve!
Sides for Stuffed Salmon
- Vegetables: Roast your favorite vegetables in the oven while you pan fry your salmon! This is a fast and tasty way to add color to your gourmet plate.
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Garlic is the perfect herb to balance salmon’s buttery, fishy flavor. In fact, it goes great with all seafood! So, some creamy garlic mashed potatoes will totally complement the crab and salmon.
- Risotto: A cheesy risotto is a great texture and flavor companion for stuffed salmon! The cheesy rice contrasts the delicate, flaky salmon and harmonizes perfectly with the other included cheeses.
- Chopped Salad: The rich seafood combined with the cream cheese can make for a heavy meal. A chopped salad of romaine, your favorite raw veggies, parmesan cheese, and a light Italian dressing can lighten things up!
Stuffed Salmon Tips:
- If you decide to grill your salmon, ensure you grease the grates with oil.
- You can also bake your salmon on parchment paper.
- Use regular cream cheese, NOT whipped cream cheese.
- For some added deliciousness, heat heavy cream, parsley, onion powder, and parmesan cheese for a tasty sauce. Pour over your salmon.
- The quality of your salmon will make a big difference in your dish, so make sure you select the best salmon from a BAP certified source like Oshēn Salmon.
- You can also top the salmon with the filling for more of the crab and cream cheese mixture!
- If you want something spicier, switch out Old Bay Seasoning for cajun seasoning.
- Lump crab meat will definitely be the best quality, but if you’re looking for something more affordable, imitation crab meat will work.
Stuffed salmon is a unique way to bring a luxury seafood experience to your dinner table!
We love this recipe, not only because it uses healthy, delicious salmon, but it’s also an easy way to make a gourmet meal for you and your family. The ingredients are easy to find, and so delectable when combined using this delicious recipe. Though, if you’re worried about picking the right salmon fillets, look no further!
Oshēn Salmon has high-quality ocean-farmed sustainable salmon that ships directly to you. You simply choose a salmon package and let the fresh or frozen delicious salmon fillets come to your doorstep. We monitor our salmon from egg to table, so it has a great taste, texture, and size every time. It’s the best salmon out there for your favorite seafood recipes!
For more recipes and salmon cooking tips, check out our blog! It’s full of helpful content to help you become a gourmet salmon chef. Plus, you can learn all about the health benefits of eating nutritious ocean-farmed salmon and why this protein choice is good for your body and your tastebuds!Oh, and did we mention if you use code FRESH at checkout, you get 15% off? What are you waiting for? Grab your quality salmon for your next deluxe seafood experience!